In today's healthcare landscape, Medicaid-focused organizations need to manage and govern their data efficiently, while complying with stringent regulatory standards. These challenges especially impact healthcare providers who deal with sensitive patient data. In this blog, we present a comprehensive case study of a Medicaid-focused healthcare provider who implemented Microsoft Purview to tackle their data governance needs.
Unveiling the Healthcare-Medicaid Customer
The customer was grappling with pressing data management challenges in their operational structure. Their existing data landscape relied on SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) for data processing and a Microsoft SQL Server-based data warehouse. Adding to the complexity were data silos across multiple source systems. Furthermore, the existing data warehouse solution struggled to keep up with the growing demands for data analytics and governance.
The Limitations of the Legacy Data Landscape
The limitations of the customer's legacy data landscape were readily apparent:
- Data Silos: Data was scattered across isolated silos, presenting a major impediment to establishing a cohesive and unified view of data assets.
- Inadequate Analytics: The current data system could not keep up with the growing data analytics needs, causing decision-making delays.
- Data Governance Challenges: Given the intricate nature of healthcare data and the paramount importance of privacy, security, and compliance, the existing data governance structure posed significant challenges.
Governance Needs and Modernization
Acknowledging the critical role of data governance, the customer partnered with Encora to embark on a transformative journey and modernize their data infrastructure. This modernization included migrating to the Azure cloud and adopting a modern data stack. Here's a closer look at the modernized architecture:
- Azure Cloud Migration: The customer undertook a strategic shift to the Azure cloud, capitalizing on its scalability, security features, and managed services. This migration facilitated the transition to a more agile and flexible data management environment.
- Azure Data Factory: The adoption of Azure Data Factory addressed data integration requirements. It also helped streamline data workflows and ensure the timely processing of data, thereby enhancing efficiency.
- Azure Data Lake Storage: Azure Data Lake Storage served as a centralized and scalable repository, resolving the challenge of scattered data. This unified storage platform accommodated structured and unstructured data, eradicating data silos.
- Snowflake Data Warehouse: Snowflake's cloud-based data warehousing solution offered elasticity, scalability, and a high-performance architecture that helped the organization meet its analytics needs effectively.
- Databricks for Analytics: The deployment of Databricks empowered data scientists and analysts with a robust analytics and data processing platform to extract valuable insights from their data lake.
- PowerBI for Visualization: PowerBI, a powerful data visualization tool, was implemented to create interactive dashboards and reports, and facilitate data-driven decision-making.
Data Types Handled by the Healthcare-Medicaid Customer
The Healthcare-Medicaid Customer deals with a diverse range of healthcare data types, including:
- Electronic Health Records (EHR): Patient medical histories, diagnoses, treatments, and medication records
- Claims Data: Information related to medical claims, billing, and insurance
- Pharmacy Data: Medication records, prescription information, and pharmaceutical data
- Patient Demographics: Data on patient identities, contact information, and demographic details
- Laboratory Results: Test results, diagnostic reports, and medical laboratory data
- Provider Information: Data concerning healthcare providers, facilities, and network information
- Appointment Scheduling: Information regarding patient appointments and schedules
The Role of Microsoft Purview
With the modern data stack in place, the customer could address their data governance needs. This was made possible with Microsoft Purview, a comprehensive data governance and management platform that offers a suite of solutions to meet the specific needs of the customer:
Capabilities of Microsoft Purview:
- Data Discovery and Cataloging: Microsoft Purview facilitated the discovery and cataloging of data assets, resulting in a consolidated and organized view of data across the organization. The platform's metadata management capabilities ensured a comprehensive and up-to-date catalog of data assets.
- Data Classification and Sensitivity Labeling: The platform allowed the customer to classify and label data based on its sensitivity. This feature ensured compliance with stringent healthcare regulations such as HIPAA by safeguarding sensitive data.
- Data Access and Authorization: Microsoft Purview offered robust tools for defining access controls and authorizations. This ensured that only authorized personnel within the organization had access to sensitive and critical data assets. The platform's role-based access controls (RBAC) provided an effective mechanism for fine-tuning and managing data access permissions.
- Data Lineage and Audit Trails: Data lineage tracking, and the generation of comprehensive audit trails were pivotal features. They enhanced transparency and accountability by allowing the Healthcare-Medicaid customer to monitor data access and usage while generating audit trails for compliance and investigative purposes.
- Data Governance Framework: The establishment of a formal data governance framework with defined roles and responsibilities was a critical aspect of the Healthcare-Medicaid Customer's data governance strategy. Microsoft Purview supported this objective by facilitating the creation of data governance roles and responsibilities and ensuring organized and structured data governance.
- Data Compliance and Reporting: The platform simplified compliance efforts through its centralized platform for managing metadata and lineage information. This enabled the Healthcare-Medicaid Customer to efficiently generate compliance reports and meet reporting requirements, ensuring alignment with healthcare regulations.
Limitations of Microsoft Purview:
While Microsoft Purview offers robust data governance capabilities, it's important to note that it may not fully address highly specialized or extremely unique data governance needs that organizations have. The platform's capabilities are designed to cater to a wide range of data governance scenarios, but highly specialized requirements necessitate custom development and integration with other tools. The capabilities offered by Microsoft Purview enable effective evolution of broader and specialized data governance needs.
Visit the Microsoft Purview home page here for more information about Purview's data governance capabilities.
Proof of Concept experience of the customer in collaboration with Encora:
Outcomes of the Proof of Concept (PoC)
Implementing Microsoft Purview as part of the data governance Proof of Concept (PoC) yielded several notable outcomes for the Healthcare-Medicaid customer:
- Unified Data View: Consolidating and cataloging data assets delivered a unified and harmonized view of diverse data. It also empowered the organization with a streamlined approach to data management.
- Data Classification: By successfully implementing data classification and sensitivity labeling, the customer categorized data according to its sensitivity, and bolstered data protection and compliance efforts to meet healthcare regulations effectively.
- Access Control: Robust access controls and authorization mechanisms enhanced data security. Defining and enforcing access policies reinforced data security and privacy and ensured that only authorized personnel could access sensitive data.
- Data Lineage: Data lineage tracking played a crucial role in enhancing transparency and traceability. The organization gained insights into the journey of data, identified its origins, and monitored data usage and access. Enhanced visibility into data lineage was also instrumental in bolstering accountability.
- Data Governance Framework: A formal data governance framework solidified the delineation of roles and responsibilities within the organization. It also empowered the customer to establish an organized and structured approach to data governance.
- Compliance and Reporting: Compliance efforts became more efficient and comprehensive, thanks to Microsoft Purview's capabilities for generating compliance reports. The customer was able to respond effectively to healthcare regulations by efficiently generating compliance reports and satisfying reporting requirements.
Implementing a Data Governance Framework
Following the successful Proof of Concept (PoC) with Microsoft Purview, Encora played a pivotal role in implementing a robust data governance framework for the Healthcare-Medicaid customer. This framework encompassed the following key components:
- Data Governance Roles and Responsibilities: Encora collaborated with the Healthcare-Medicaid customer to define and establish clear data governance roles and responsibilities within the organization. This step was crucial in ensuring that data governance efforts were well-structured, and accountabilities were assigned appropriately.
- Data Classification and Sensitivity Labeling: Encora, in coordination with the Healthcare-Medicaid customer, developed and implemented a data classification framework. This framework allowed for the categorization of data based on its sensitivity and importance. Sensitivity labels were applied to data assets, helping in compliance efforts and data protection.
- Access Control and Authorization: Encora worked closely with the customer to define and enforce access control policies and authorization mechanisms. These controls were designed to ensure that only authorized personnel had access to sensitive and critical data assets. Access permissions were carefully defined and monitored to enhance data security.
- Data Lineage and Audit Trails: To bolster transparency and accountability, Encora and the Healthcare-Medicaid customer implemented a data lineage tracking system. This system allowed for the tracking of data movement, origins, and usage. Comprehensive audit trails were generated, aiding in compliance, and providing insights into data access and usage.
- Data Compliance and Reporting: Encora facilitated the efficient generation of compliance reports through Microsoft Purview. This involved managing metadata and lineage information to streamline compliance efforts and meet reporting requirements effectively. The customer was well-prepared to align with healthcare regulations and demonstrate compliance.
Outcomes of Data Governance Implementation
The implementation of a comprehensive data governance framework post-PoC resulted in several significant outcomes for the Healthcare-Medicaid Customer:
- Structured Data Governance: The organization now has a well-structured data governance framework with clear roles and responsibilities, ensuring that data governance efforts are organized and efficiently managed.
- Enhanced Data Protection: By implementing data classification and sensitivity labeling, the Healthcare-Medicaid customer improved data protection efforts, ensuring that sensitive data was handled with the utmost care and in compliance with healthcare regulations.
- Improved Data Security: Access control and authorization mechanisms enhanced data security, allowing only authorized individuals to access critical data assets. It also contributed toward protecting patient data.
- Enhanced Accountability: The data lineage tracking system and comprehensive audit trails bolstered transparency and accountability within the organization. The Healthcare-Medicaid customer could monitor data usage and access, ensuring accountability.
- Efficient Compliance: Compliance efforts became more efficient and comprehensive, thanks to Microsoft Purview’s streamlined compliance reporting capabilities. The organization was well-prepared to meet the stringent healthcare regulations and demonstrate compliance.
Implementing the data governance framework in collaboration with Encora helped the customer to adopt a structured, secure, and accountable data governance approach, guarantee patient data protection, and comply with healthcare regulations. It also marked a significant milestone in the organization's journey toward modern data governance and reinforced their commitment to deliver high-quality healthcare services while maintaining data security and compliance.
In this case study, the Healthcare-Medicaid customer, in partnership with Encora, embarked on a journey to modernize their data infrastructure and address their data governance needs. Implementing Microsoft Purview empowered them to overcome the limitations of their legacy data landscape, enhance data governance, and align with the rigorous requirements of healthcare regulations. Encora's expertise in data migration and governance, coupled with the capabilities offered by Purview, provided the Healthcare-Medicaid Customer with a robust solution for managing their data effectively and responsibly. This comprehensive approach ensures the delivery of high-quality healthcare services while maintaining compliance and data security.
Fast-growing tech companies partner with Encora to outsource product development and drive growth. Contact us to learn more about our software engineering capabilities.