Due to the constant advancement of technology and the increase in new tools, providing unbreachable applications is becoming increasingly important. Addressing issues such as the risk analysis of a project, system, etc., is crucial, especially since more and more people, teams, and societies are willing to perpetrate cyberattacks out of simple curiosity. However, a significant number of attacks do have a particular objective: the procurement of data and money. Consequently, it is imperative to focus on cybersecurity, a field that is becoming progressively indispensable, and understand its fundamental pillars.
The breaching of systems has become fashionable due to competition or obtaining confidential information, power, or money illegally. Developers must guard against all kinds of breaches and not leave an open path for attacks to happen. But, how can we go about this? It is essential to begin with a few basic concepts:
What is Security?
Security is the absence of danger or risk, a sensation of complete trust in an entity. In computer terms, security is composed of all the different containment methods used to prevent and detect unauthorized use of a system. It implies protecting its functions, scripts, PC use, company network, online network, etc., against intruders with malicious intents, using means such as firewalls, antiviruses, and others.
What is Cybersecurity?
Also known as technology security or computing security. It involves protecting the computing infrastructure and everything related to users, information as data stored in computers, access to databases, networks, and systems.
What is a Cyberattack?
Defined as the different efforts taken to breach a system. It is an offensive maneuver that aims to control an asset or a system for selfish and malicious purposes. Individuals or organizations can carry out cyberattacks. There are different attack types; the following are among the most common:
- Phishing – identity theft
What is a Vulnerability?
According to the MITRE Corporation, a vulnerability is “an error in the software that a hacker can use directly to obtain access to a system or network.” With this in mind, any vulnerability found in a system can provide access to an attacker or be used as an open door to extract an entity’s information through different techniques, leaving it in unscrupulous hands that wish to bring harm.
Why is it Important to Implement Cybersecurity?
Taking adequate measures that prevent information - such as bank accounts, user data, credit card information, work documents, or spreadsheets; access to servers, app codes, databases, among others - from falling into the wrong hands has become crucial. Given the great need that arises due to the increase in cyber delinquents, it is imperative to take specific actions that obstruct their path.
What Measures Can You Take?
It is important to note that you can apply two main types of security measures:
- Prevention - First, the company must set up strategies and protocols involving the development code, physical measures, information encryption, password difficulty, network vigilance, using different technologies within the organization, physical access, and authorization for the use of networks, and creating backup and security copies, among others. If the company purchases a service package, it must be adapted to its specific needs. Several paid solutions can help detect, scan, and block possible entryways that may present a vulnerability.
- Maintenance - It is important to stress that prevention is not a task performed once; it must be a constant effort. This is where daily maintenance plays an essential role. Reactions to different circumstances must be determined, from a user creating a password to granting access to an unknown person without the authorization of the security staff. The infrastructure must include three key elements:
- Online security
- Software security
- Hardware security
Cybersecurity service packages are a viable way to address issues and can be of great help to a company. They contribute to prevention and maintenance, keeping their systems in the best possible state.
In conclusion, cybersecurity is a practical approach to security whose importance is paramount to any company. It helps prevent and impede data theft of an organization, its users, and its systems. An intruder can misuse stolen information, causing damage and chaos to a business. Therefore, it is crucial to set up security measures to protect the information, systems, and equipment.
- Cybersecurity focuses on protecting computing infrastructure and everything related to users, information as data stored in computers, access to databases, networks, and systems.
- A cyberattack is an offensive maneuver that aims to control an asset or a system for malicious purposes.
- Cybersecurity measures fall within two main categories: prevention and maintenance.
At Encora, we’re interested in learning more about your software testing projects.
Encora offers fast-growing tech companies tangible business value by setting you up for growth with experienced software testing processes, tools, metrics, talent, and communication.
Contact us to schedule a consultation.